Diet and Nutrition: (references)
- Eliminate foods that cause an allergic response or to which
there is a sensitivity (fast, use an elimination diet, or allergy
test to isolate such foods)
- Avoid sugar, salt, fat, caffeine, and alcohol
- Increase fruits and vegetables, especially bananas and
- Decrease or eliminate animal products
- Eat 1 clove of fresh garlic
- Eat onions daily
- Eat lots of celery
Vitamins and Minerals: (references)
- Coenzyme Q10: 30 mg.
QID (takes 4-12 weeks for this therapy to make a difference in
- Fiber: 30 - 45 gm. in divided
doses at mealtime with 12 ounces of water per dose
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: 1-5 gm. TID
- Taurine: 500 mg.
- Garlic: in supplement form equivalent to 10
cloves garlic a day
- L-Arginine: 1,000 mg. TID
on empty stomach
- L-Carnitine: 500 mg. TID
away from food
- Individual botanicals to be considered for this condtion:
Homeopathic Remedies: (references)
- General hypertension:
Adren., Aur., Car-C., Calc., Crat., Glon., Grat., Lach., Nat-M.,
Nux-V., Plb., Rauw., Stront-C., Suplh., Sumb., Verat.
- Sudden rise in blood pressure:
(For an overview of Homeopathy, click here.)
- Hypertension IV
- An exercise program is a must. Begin by walking 15 minutes 4
times a week for 2 weeks, then 20 minutes 4 times a week for 2
weeks, then 30 minutes 4 times a week
- Reduce weight if obese
- Avoid the NSAIDS, Rofecoxib (Vioxx) and Nabumetone (Relafen) - they increase systolic and diastolic blood pressure
- Chelate lead and calcium if above normal levels (determined by hair analysis)
- Check for hypertension: Sphygmomanometry
* The recommended use of this supplement or therapy is based on a physiological mechanism or empirical data and is not necessarily supported by peer-reviewed research studies.
Copyright 1998 - 2008 by L. Vicky Crouse, ND and James S. Reiley, ND. All rights reserved (ISSN 1527-0661).