Diet and Nutrition: (references)
- Avoid rancid foods and all other sources of free radicals
- Eat lots of blueberries, blackberries, and cherries for their anthocyanidin content
- Eat lots of legumes (beans) and yellow vegetables for their carotenoid content
- Drink a modest amount of red wine or red grape juice
regularly (for their anthocyanadins)
- Eat more fish and less saturated fat (e.g., red meat)
Vitamins and Minerals: (references)
- Individual botanicals to be considered for this condtion:
Homeopathic Remedies: (references)
- General blindness:
Acon., Bell., Hyos., Merc., Nat-M., Puls., Stram., Sulph.
Amme., Chin., Dros., Gels., Merc., Nat-M., Op.., Phos., Ph-Ac.,
(For an overview of Homeopathy, click here.)
- Check for macular degeneration: Visual Acuity, Ophthalmic Exam, Photograph of Retina
- Rule out cataract: Visual Acuity, Pupil Dilation, Tonometry
- Rule out corneal dystrophies: Ophthalmic Exam, Visual Acuity, Pupil Dilation
- Rule out diabetic lens: Visual Acuity, Eye Exam, Urinalysis, Fasting Glucose, Fructosamine, Hemoglobin A1c
- Rule out glaucoma: Visual Acuity, Pupil Dilation, Tonometry, Air Puff, Glaucoma, Gonioscopy, Endocyanine Green Eye Dye
- Rule out macular hole: Visual Acuity, Ophthalmic Exam, Pupil Dilation
- Rule out ocular histoplasmosis syndrome: Eye Exam for Histo Spots, Amsler Grid, Pupil Dilation, Fluorescein Angiography
* The recommended use of this supplement or therapy is based on a physiological mechanism or empirical data and is not necessarily supported by peer-reviewed research studies.
Copyright 1998 - 2008 by L. Vicky Crouse, ND and James S. Reiley, ND. All rights reserved (ISSN 1527-0661).